Hazel Nuts, also known as cobnuts or filberts, are the fruits of the hazel tree (Corylus genus). These nuts, particularly those from the species Corylus avellana, are highly nutritious, packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidant compounds, and healthy fats.
Benefits of Hazelnuts:
- Heart Health: Hazel Nuts contain a high concentration of antioxidants and healthy fats, which contribute to their heart-protective properties. These antioxidants help increase the overall antioxidant potential in the body and can lower cholesterol levels, reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Blood Fat Regulation: Regular consumption of hazelnuts can help decrease blood fat levels. Studies have shown that hazelnuts, with their omega-3 content and antioxidants, can effectively lower cholesterol, triglyceride, and LDL (“bad”) cholesterol levels, promoting a healthier lipid profile.
- Blood Pressure Management: Hazelnuts can contribute to regulating blood pressure due to their nutrient composition. The presence of minerals like potassium and magnesium helps relax blood vessels, supporting optimal blood flow and reducing the risk of hypertension.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Hazelnuts possess anti-inflammatory compounds, including vitamin E and phytochemicals. These components help combat inflammation in the body, which is linked to various chronic conditions, including heart disease.
- Blood Sugar Control: Hazelnuts have a low glycemic index and are rich in fiber, healthy fats, and protein. This nutrient profile aids in managing blood sugar levels by slowing down glucose absorption, preventing sudden spikes and promoting better blood sugar control.
- Nutrient-Rich: Hazelnuts are a rich source of essential vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats. They provide nutrients like vitamin E, magnesium, and potassium, which support overall health, including skin health, bone strength, and proper nerve function.
Nutritional information for Hazel Nuts per 100 grams in a table format:
|Vitamin E||15.0mg (75% DV)|
|Vitamin B6||0.6mg (30% DV)|
|Thiamin (Vitamin B1)||0.6mg (40% DV)|
|Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)||0.1mg (6% DV)|
|Niacin (Vitamin B3)||1.8mg (9% DV)|
|Folate (Vitamin B9)||113μg (28% DV)|
|Calcium||114mg (11% DV)|
|Iron||4.7mg (26% DV)|
|Magnesium||163mg (41% DV)|
|Phosphorus||290mg (29% DV)|
|Potassium||680mg (19% DV)|
|Zinc||2.5mg (17% DV)|